November 15, 2009

One more down, one last one to go!

Tink and I went to Kingston to the Morning Star trial. It was my first time ever going here, it is held in a soccer dome, two rings, with tons of space left over! I only entered the last 4 runs of the day, 2 snooker, and 2 jumpers. The first snooker was tough... lots of call offs, and Tink finally went off course after #2 in the closing. The second snooker started off real bad... after the first jump, Tink went off and did her own thing... my whole run was flying by the seat of my pants, but we did great and made it all the way through, eaning our MSDC. One more leg to get for our ATCh, and two tries to get it! Our first jumper run went quite well, but I took for granted the fact that Tink would pick a tunnel over a jump, and as I sent her to the tunnel, she sailed over a jump. The rest of the run was great! The next run looked trickier in the walk-through... and boy was it ever! It was quite a disaster! Oh well! There's always next time!

4 comments:

Jci said...

randomly stumbled upon ur blog. =) pretty lil pups u have there! i'm a dog fanatic :D

radio fence said...

I have a question regarding our German Shepherd. He's 2 1/2 years old now and weighs 108 pounds. He wasn't socialized as a puppy, so we are taking him to a trainer because of fear biting and aggression with people in the yard and house (he hadn't been aggressive toward my husband, our children, or myself.) The trainer has been helpful, and we've seen a lot of improvement. The last time we went for a session, she told us that our dog sees my husband as a leader, but doesn't see me as one. He basically refused to obey me at times during the session. She told me he was testing me and to keep doing what I have been, which is not giving any praise, petting or food unless he's done something for it - sit, stay, down, etc, and to stare him down if he gets into a "battle of wills" with me (she told me what to look for in his stance and said to make sure he heard the command before I stare him down - I'm to look him in the eye until he obeys me), or to use his choke collar by giving it a quick snap. She's also watched me as I worked with him and has taught me to properly put the choke chain on and use it correctly (we had never used one before). She said when I give a command, to be prepared to take as much time as possible with him until he obeys.

Amanda said...

@radio fence
I'm not sure what the question is... you just seem to be explaining how you are training your dog. I don't believe in the methods that you are using with your dog. I belive in shaping and positive reinforcement to build a relationship with your dog, rather then intimidation and fear in order to teach them. Some times these methods create more aggression. My dogs have rules they follow (sitting to wait for meals, not bursting out that door for example) that are very easy to teach. My dogs never have, nor ever will, wear choke collars.

dog containment systems said...

I've been searching the internet and I stumbled upon your website. A lot of the things I've read on it so far sound like what our trainer says and it seems like you really understand and know dogs. My question is, do you agree with our trainer? She says that he is too dangerous to have in our home with our children (ages 9, 4, and 1), that putting him outside would be cruel because he's a pack animal (which I totally agree with), and that giving him away could be dangerous to another owner or even our dog. She also told us that he may never bite us or our children, but if it were her dog, she would have it put down, just because of the possible risk. She said she knew it was hard to hear, and it is ... which is why I'm asking what you would do - would you ever suggest putting a dog down in this type of situation? I would truly value your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to read this and hopefully reply.